Friendly Concern links

Monday, July 22, 2013

Welcome to the World, Elliott



It's been a long wait, but my grandson Elliott arrived nine days post dates (July 9) after what seemed to be a quick labor until it wasn't and he was born via C-section weighing 8 pounds 5 ounces.  My daughter spent all Monday preparing an argument about how the midwives should induce her and Monday evening I went to bed without my phone.  Upon being awakened by my husband at 7 a.m. Tuesday morning I learned that my daughter and her husband had been at the hospital since 3 something a.m. and that there were 3 messages on my phone stating that they were going to the hospital, that they were at the hospital, and then that my daughter had had an epidural and was almost ready to push.  We arrived at the hospital two hours later fully expecting to meet our grandson shortly but he wasn't born until 3:22 that afternoon.  By the time he was born all four grandparents were in the waiting room as well as my youngest son, Tim.  We spent the time texting family members (especially my sister in Virginia who kept me sane), and my son-in-law who did an excellent job keeping us up-to-date on my daughter's progress and condition.  It was a wonderful albeit stressful day.  I can't believe I'm a grandmother!


So, I'm smitten with my new grandson and I think he's perfect and beautiful.  I've felt really lucky to have spent so much time with him in his first two weeks of life.  I look forward to seeing him grow up and to see more of his personality as he develops. I have a feeling I might not be blogging very much in the near future--priorities are shifting.


1 comment:

Mimi and CC Cabana said...

Congratulations, Martha!! I love this photo. Your daughter's birthing experience sounds like mine, 2 c-sections after 20+ hours of labor both times. But it doesn't matter now. You have a beautiful little grandson! I know you'll be knitting him all kinds of things!